Tuesday, February 3, 2009

6 More Weeks Of Winter … Really?

This past weekend was so beautiful - Friday, Saturday and Sunday were above freezing and the sun even came out a bit. It makes it that much harder to accept that the Groundhog saw his shadow and demands 6 more weeks of Winter. Although, with that being said, I do have quite a bit more work to do on the house so it is better that I am snowed in.

On Friday, amidst the nice weather Matt, myself and a group of our friends ventured down to Kalamazoo to see his former college roommate play at the Monaco Bay dueling piano bar. Davey plays full time at Howl at the Moon in Chicago, but he was in the mood for a little reunion tour. We all had a really great time and were all equally amazed by how good the musicians are. With what little singing and music skills I have, it blows my mind to think that they know all those songs and that they are so good at improvising.

Saturday, Erin and I worked on painting the bathroom, which is now fully painted except for the baseboard and window/door trim – that is my goal for this week. However, with the walls complete, now I can focus on getting a vanity installed and maybe a new toilet - we will see how long this old one lasts. After painting all day I was looking for a reason to get out of the house and decided on taking Matt to see Gran Torino. I have been excited to see it because it has a lot of scenes from around Grosse Pointe and the East Side. I was not disappointed, in fact the church that I regularly attended in Grosse Pointe Park , St. Ambrose, was the church that was shown many times. It was a little strange however, as they edited out some of the paintings on the wall and some of the artifacts on the altar.

And to continue my complaint from the month of January – another birthday has come and gone and I still did not get any birthday cake! On Sunday we celebrated Erin’s birthday with my family and we had a great brunch, fun times shoveling my driveway and excitement over some new Wii games. But there was no birthday cake, rather a lemon cream cake that was tasty, but not the same. It is looking more and more like I am going to have to wait until April to get some decent cake.