Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Das Dutchman Essenhaus

For years people have wondered if I ever eat large meals, since I am known to eat a ton of food in small portions throughout the day. Well, this blog entry should answer that question very clearly. Yes, I do and I love it! Many years ago, there was a time that my family visited Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury, Indiana. The food was great, the service was better and the day was an all around fun time. Since then we have visited the same restaurant at least once a year. Most recently that one time a year corresponds with my birthday, what a better way to celebrate then to eat, a lot! The family-style dining is what the Essenhaus became best known for with Amish and Mennonite home-style cooking. Featuring entrees like fried chicken, tender roast beef, real mashed potatoes with rich homemade gravy, made-from-scratch noodles, and more. The family-style dinners also come with homemade bread dressing, a tossed salad with the best sweet-and-sour dressing, corn, the most delicious homemade bread (I have been known to eat an entire loaf by myself) with apple butter and Amish peanut butter spread, beverage and a dessert. They offer 29 varieties of pie in the restaurant and whole pies are also available to purchase from the home-style bakery just down the hall from the restaurant. With all the goodness to savor, there's no excuse to leave hungry! After dinner was over Matt and I played a rousing round of checkers... I lost ... bummer.