Monday, August 24, 2009

We Are Still Hammering In Our Sleep

Well we did it. We finished the garage roof in one weekend. After the rocky start with the “wild animal” and the pouring rain on Friday night, I didn’t know what to expect of the weekend. But to tell you the truth it went surprisingly smooth. Saturday morning we were up bright and early and started stripping the old shingles right away. Matt had seen on This Old House that a pitchfork was a good way to remove old shingles. I was a little skeptical – with flash back to the opossum event, I didn’t know what to expect. But to error on the side of caution, with a pitchfork on the roof at least we didn’t have to worry about a sneak attack. And it did work really well. We got into a pattern of Matt on the ladder stripping as many shingles as he could reach and I sat on the ridge of the roof and got loose nails and the rest of the shingles with a little crowbar. The removal went really fast. Then it was on to putting out the tarpaper – not my favorite part of the day, too tedious for me to enjoy. I also was not a big fan of having to mark chalk lines, what a mess. But once the lines were set – it was on to the shingles. Within a few hours we had half of one side completed. That really surprised me, I thought it would take a lot longer. We figured out a system where Matt laid the first shingle in each row and then I hammered the rest of the row in and he finished up the other end. I cannot even express how tired my arm is – today while in a meeting, my arm started twitching in a hammering motion. We could have opted for an air nail gun, but it would have been costly to rent one and the whole point of doing it our selves was to save money. So, we hand nailed four nails in every stinking shingle on the roof. Anyway, with half one side of the roof complete we called it a night and I am excited to say that we were able to stop working before dark – that NEVER happens on our projects. Sunday, we started up after church and flew through the rest of the one side in a matter of an hour. We moved to the far side of the garage and had an easy time of snapping the lines and getting the rows started. The one dramatic event of the weekend involved Matt hammering a little too close to a hidden wasp nest under the eve of the garage – there were about six wasps around him in a matter of seconds. With some quick thinking he was able to get off the ladder and get some bug killer and he only suffered one sting. I patiently waited, rather was stranded on the roof, while this was going on. But, luckily I didn’t get stung – I think I was too stinky from working too hard. Once the wasps were eradicated and I was able to move about the roof again we finished up the rest of the shingles in no time. I have to say if nothing more, I sure have learned a ton of new skills from owning this house. I seriously want to start a TV show with Candace Olsen, a combination Toolbelt Diva and Divine Design.